Geriatric Care With A Personal Touch At Apollo Sage Hospitals, Bhopal
As people grow old they suffer from a different set of health and psychological-related issues which are often ignored. Sometimes, these issues are chronic and lifetime ailments and geriatric patients tend to get psychologically weary of their condition. This is where doctors or in medical terminology called Geriatricians come into the picture.
Geriatricians are physicians with mastered care of elderly people or older adults, but more than that they help them lead a life full of dignity and manage their difficulties. At Apollo Sage Hospital, Bhopal geriatric department, the experts deal with multiple medical problems and chronic illnesses and focus on optimizing the quality of life and functional ability instead of seeking definitive cures.
Why Choose Us?
The gerontologist and the entire staff at the geriatric care department at Apollo Sage Hospitals, Bhopal is involved with adopting new and advanced strategies that help the process of geriatric assessment even more efficiently.
The hospital adopts a holistic approach to address the physical, psychological, and social problems of each geriatric patient and engages in pre-visit screening questionnaires, using non-physician personnel to help perform standard geriatric assessments, and ensures standardized protocols for following up on positive results.
Apollo Sage Hospitals, Bhopal provides routine consultations, completes adult immunization, holds counseling sessions for family members and caregivers for chronic ailments, guidance programs for the care of bedbound and chronic illness, home care for bed-bound chronically ill patients, and more.
Our Competent Team
Head Of Geriatric Department at Apollo Sage Hospitals, Bhopal, Dr. Atulya Saurabh, P.G. DGM, CCEBDM, MHA is one of the finest Geriatric Healthcare specialists for elderly care on the hospital’s panel.
Apart from having the top geriatrician doctors in Bhopal, the department works closely with other healthcare professionals, including physicians, therapists, and support groups, to meet the specific needs of each geriatric patient.
The geriatrics clinic at Apollo Sage Hospitals in Bhopal is well equipped and has a dedicated comprehensive geriatric assessment clinic to enable better services to geriatric patients. The hospital has the best of ICUs including the Cardiac and General specially dedicated to the older adult patients.
Let’s check out the facility we offer.
- Polypharmacy Assessment Facility: Too many or inappropriate medication uses are extremely common among older adults. The geriatricians in Bhopal Apollo Sage Hospital’sdepartment assess their medication to out-rule the possibilities of the side-effect of this medication.
- Dementia, Alzheimer’s Disease Clinic: The geriatrics department is one of the best for it has a separate and advanced dementia clinic for the gerontologist doctor to recognize the pattern of loss of skills and function and determine what the elderly person can still continue to do. At the dementia clinic, the doctor runs a number of tests that help spot the problem and its severity.
- Home Care Facility: The department helps elderly patients by assisting them with personal care services that could be for a few hours during the day to round-the-clock care.
- Counselling Chronic Disease Management: Older adult patients often suffer from chronic ailments along with functional impairment. This leads to an increased need for long-term support care and management. The geriatrics specialist at Apollo Sage Hospitals helps the elderly learn the management of these diseases and ailments through regular counseling.
- Encouraging Appropriate Exercise for Older Adults: Getting older adult persons or geriatrics to exercise or do stretches can be cumbersome as with age their body and bones become stiff and unbendable making them immobile or restricting their mobility. But through regular encouragement and assistance, older adults can start exercising and better their mobility. Not only this, with slight stretches and exercises they can also get relief from joint pains.
Disease & Conditions
Diseases, ailments, and conditions that most geriatric patients suffer vary from one to another. But let us take a look at some of the common problems that most older adult patients suffer from.
- Arthritis/ Osteoporosis/ Immobility: These bone and joint problems are common in the elderly and can lead to severe or hairline fractures with mild trauma.
- Chronic Heart &Lung Disease: This is a major cause of concern among older adult persons and requires close monitoring and regular checkups from the geriatrics. If these factors are unattended, then these could lead to serious complications in them and could even be life-threatening.
- General Decline: It is a natural process for older adults to undergo general health decline. This could include, decreased mobility, loss of independence, depression, bone loss, dehydration,under-nutrition, loss of sensory organs, and more, and the doctor for the elderly helps them manage the situation.
- Impaired Overall Function: Functional impairment is a common feature found in older adult patients. Medically, the condition has been classified as an acquired difficulty in performing daily tasks for independent living. The common impairments include hearing loss, eyesight problems, mood disorders, cognitive impairment, and so on.
- Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (LUTS): The elderly often develop a weak urine stream and feel the need to urinate (during the day and night) or may suffer from dribbling of urine.
- Sensory Problems &Stroke: Sensory deficits in adults include diminishing ability to feel, touch, pain, or the inability to recognize objects and so on. This could often take place in elderly people after a stroke. However, with the intervention of the geriatrics department at Apollo Sage Hospitals, Bhopal some stroke patients may experience spontaneous recovery.
- PET Scans
- Complete Blood Count
- Colorectal Examination
- Cholesterol Screenings
- Dental Examination
- Kidney Function Test
- Basic Metabolic Panel Test (Basic Electrolyte Panel)
Treatment & Services
- Complete Adult Vaccination: The elderly are often at risk for different diseases and need to keep their Vaccine Preventable Disease (VPD) up to date. This is important because childhood vaccine immunity often wears over a period of time. At Apollo Sage Hospitals, the elderly receive shots for Covid-19, Influenza, TD or TDAP, and more depending upon their health conditions, travel habits, and lifestyle.
- Counselling Centre For Chronic Debilitating Diseases: Chronic or life-long illness or disability can be challenging for the elderly. And counseling them at Apollo Sage Hospitals, Bhopal brings about a lot of differences in their quality of life and most importantly – their attitude towards the disability or chronic illness.
- Sleep Disorders: Older adult people generally suffer from disturbed sleep patterns. The gerontologist in Bhopal examines this pattern to determine the type of disorder and its solution.
- Confusion/ Delirium: This happens when the combined strain of illness, environmental circumstances, or other risk factors disrupt the elderly person’s brain function. If medical intervention is not sought at the right time, the condition could get serious and possibly cause permanent or long-term problems.
So, now that we understand that the geriatric assessment units are specially designed to improve the problems and diseases of old age and aging people, let us gently guide our elderly to the Apollo Sage Hospitals, Bhopal, and enhance their quality of life for a dignified living.
Read more articles on the management of chronic disease in older adults, self-care in the older adult, age-related changes in the cardiovascular system among elderly people, advanced diagnosis and treatment for Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in older adults, and more.
Dr Atulya Saurabh
Experience:- 26 Years