Cardiothoracic surgery involves the surgical treatment of diseases affecting organs inside the thorax – generally conditions of the heart and lungs. Cardiothoracic surgeons also undertake training in the management of chest walls and oesophageal pathologies.
Surgical treatments that involve the thorax region like the heart and blood vessels as well as the pulmonary areas such as the lungs, it is known as cardiothoracic surgery or cardiovascular thoracic surgery (CTVS surgery).In simpler terms, the thorax includes the organs between the chest wall and oesophageal pathologies.
Cardiothoracic surgery is undoubtedly challenging and one of the most complex cardio surgeries to perform. However, in the recent past with the technological advancements and innovations in the medical science field, cardio procedures have undergone radical change and benefitted both the cardiothoracic surgeons as well as the patients who are on a quest to find the best cardiac surgeon near me, top thoracic surgeon near me, top cardiothoracic surgeon near me, or the best open heart surgeon in the country.
The Apollo Sage Hospitals, Bhopal has always respected the evolutions and revolutions that take place in the world of medicine and surgery. Let’s do a detailed tour of some expanding diagnostic and therapeutic options and similar aspects that outstands the hospital.
Why Choose Us?
Keeping pace with the modern scientific trends in cardio surgery and medicine, the cardiac surgeon, or medically better termed the thoracic surgeons at the Department of cardiovascular thoracic surgery (CVTS) of Apollo Sage Hospitals in Bhopal ensure that new forms of surgical procedures and care are introduced at a cost-effective rate. This is in contrast to the prevalent theories that technological advances are a key driver of health expenditure growth.
The surgeon for heart at Apollo Sage Hospitals in Bhopal is not only the best surgeon but also the best care provider for patients and their families and personally attends to their queries till they are completely satisfied.
Best Cardio Surgeons On Board
A name to reckon with, Dr. Sanjeev Gupta – MS, MCh, Cardiothoracic Surgeon, tops the list of best CTVS specialists in the country. The cardiothoracic surgeon at the hospital performs surgery on the heart, lungs, or oesophagus, and other parts of the chest with the best and most advanced equipment that makes modern surgery and technical skills really proud.
In addition to this, heart surgeon or pediatric cardiac surgery doctors offer the promise of reducing pain, speedy recovery, and ultimately work extensively to decrease morbidity and mortality.
Yes, here we would like to mention that the pediatric cardiac surgery department or the children cardiac surgery department at Apollo Sage Hospitals in Bhopal is one of the finest in the entire Central India with sophisticated equipment and world-class tools and of course, the advanced cardiothoracic or the cardiac intensive care units (cardiothoracic icu / cardio ICU) ever seen.
The Department of cardiovascular thoracic surgery (CVTS) at Apollo Sage Hospitals in Bhopal provides the best care facilities for cardiac patients round the clock.
This means that the best of doctors, anesthetists, pediatric cardiac specialists, cardiac emergency units, and specialized staff are always available to provide their services to the patients.
Disease & Conditions
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease: It is a condition that changes the way blood flows through the heart. While most congenital heart diseases are mild and can be rectified with an expert’s intervention, complex defects can be life-threatening for sure.
- Atherosclerosis: When plaque or sticky substance (due to cholesterol, fat, blood cells, and similar substances) starts building within the arteries, it leads to atherosclerosis. The condition causes the arteries to narrow and reduces the supply of oxygen-rich blood to tissues and vital body organs.
- Atrial Fibrillation: Commonly referred to as AFib or AF, it is one of the most commonly detected heart arrhythmia or a condition in which the heart beats irregularly.
- HeartCancer: Though rear, heart tumors sometimes can be cancerous. One of the most common cancers that occur in the heart is sarcoma which is made up of soft heart tissues.
- Cardiovascular Genetic Diseases: Some of the common cardiovascular genetic diseases include, cardiac tumors, cardiac amyloidosis, cardiomyopathy, and familial thoracic aortic aneurysm syndrome. These genetic conditions need to be identified by a cardiac expert at an early stage to avoid complications and life-threatening conditions in the future.
- ECG Devices: The advanced ECG diagnostic devices offer greater mobility, better displays, and advanced software to surgeons. The equipment and data management solutions record and interpret cardiac electrical activity.
- Cath Lab: Also known as the Catheterization laboratory, it is a sophisticated and advanced room where several tests and procedures such as angioplasty, pacemaker/ICD implantations, angiogram, ablation, etc., are performed.
- Heart-Lung Machine: This highly advanced equipment temporarily overtakes the functioning of the heart and/ or lung and provides blood and oxygen to the parts of the body while the cardiac surgeon performs on the patient’s thoracic region. The machine plays a critical role when the heart is required to be stopped during serious cardiac procedures.
- Holter Monitors: These battery-operated portable equipment track and monitors the heart rhythm. This wearable electronic device helps heart surgeons and doctors get a better understanding of the heart’s condition.
- Implantable Cardiac Monitors: The insertable cardiac monitor device is the smallest that automatically detects and records abnormal heart rhythms for years with an accuracy of 99.4%.
- Nuclear Cardiac Stress Test: The procedure requires injecting a radioactive tracer into the vein to allow the heart expert to get better and clear images of the heart. It assesses the myocardial blood flow and the heart’s contractility while at rest or during exercise.
- Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI): This requires the radio waves emitted by a computer and a magnetic field to obtain a detailed heart image. It helps the cardio surgeon or cardiologist assess the size and function of valves, heart muscles, and arteries and determine the further course of action.
Treatment & Services
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG): The procedure treats coronary Artery Disease (CAD) or the narrowing of coronary arteries – the blood vessels that supply oxygen and nutrients to the heart muscle.
Beating Heart Surgery or Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass OPCAB: The surgery is performed without a heart-lung machine and the heart keeps functioning or pumping blood to the body while the doctors perform the procedure. This procedure reduces inflammation, lower infection risk, and decreased chances of complications like abnormal cardiac rhythms.
Heart Valve Repair Or Replacement Surgery: The surgery is commonly performed to treat heart valve diseases and ailments. The surgeon repairs or replaces the heart valve or valves by using sophisticated surgical techniques and instruments.
Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgeries (MICS): Commonly known as keyhole surgery, minimally invasive surgery is one of the finest examples of technological advancement in heart surgery. In contrast to traditional open heart surgery, minimally invasive cardiac surgery allows the surgeon to make small incisions in the chest using advanced tools to reach the heart and perform surgery.
So as we conclude this piece on cardiothoracic surgeries, we tell you that with continuous research, advanced technological growth, and innovation in therapies in the field of medical science, cardiothoracic surgery is undergoing a revolutionary change with each passing day.
No wonder, the cardiothoracic surgeon and cardiovascular surgeon find it a golden age where heart surgeries are performed with ease and reduced risk factors.
Connect with Apollo Sage Hospitals in Bhopal for the best advice and surgeries on Paediatric Heart Surgery, specialized surgery performed for the treatment of valvular heart diseases, CTVS, and more.
Dr Sanjeev Gupta
Experience:- 14 Years
- MCH (CTVS)
- MS (General Surgery)